Preparing Your Home for a Storm
Nasty weather is no stranger to Ohio. Since 1950, nearly 1,000 tornadoes have touched down in the Buckeye State, on top of countless severe thunderstorms with strong winds and damaging hail. Fortunately there are many things you can do to get ready prior to storm season and even when storms are imminent. Before severe weather threatens, prepare your home by following these steps.
- Elevate items in your basement that might be damaged by flooding.
- Secure or store away outdoor items such as patio furniture, garbage cans and children’s toys which could be thrown around by strong winds and damaged, or cause damage to your home.
- Remove dead or damaged trees and limbs around your home that could fall onto your roof or outbuildings during a storm. Keep shrubbery trimmed back to make it less susceptible to wind damage.
- Choose a location, away from windows and glass, where you and your family can safely take shelter during a storm. Review the procedure with your family.
Know how to safely shut off the power, water and gas to your home. This may become necessary after a disaster.
- Keep fire extinguishers in an accessible place and make sure all family members know how to use them.
- Consult your insurance policy so you know what kinds of damage are covered. Keep this and other important documents in a safe location.
- If you have animals housed in outbuildings, make sure they are also secure and protected.
After the Storm, Count on Our Roofers in Akron, OH
After the storm passes, if you think your home may have been damaged, use our Storm Damage Checklist to help you recover and arrange for the repairs that you need. In times of trouble, you can be confident MasterPro Roofing will be at your side to provide trustworthy, expert guidance as you plan for repairs and choose materials. We’re the roofers Akron, OH, homeowners have counted on since 2008. Call us at (866) 977-3808 anytime.